Monday, December 10, 2018

Joseph's Choice

Joseph had a choice to make. Mary was pledged to marry him but she was with child through the Holy Spirit. As it says in Matthew 1:19, Joseph was a righteous man and he did not want to disgrace Mary publicly; "It was on his mind to divorce her quietly."

Something major happens next. An angel of  the Lord came to Joseph in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins," (Matthew 1:20-21 NIV).

Don't overlook the last sentence of this scripture. Joseph was to name his son, Jesus, just as any father would name a child. But, look at what the angel tells Joseph his son would do: Jesus will save his people from their sins! Every Jewish boy had been taught that a king was coming in the future who would save the people. Now, Joseph was part of this wonderful prophecy.

Michael Card is a contemporary Christian musician and song writer whose work I have enjoyed for many years. He has a way of turning a story into a song, like no other artist. One of my favorite songs he wrote is, Joseph's Song. To hear it sung is a true delight, but to read the words will give you Card's version of the story from Joseph's perspective.

"How could it be this baby in my arms
Sleeping now, so peacefully
The Son of God, the angel said
How could it be?

Lord, I know He's not my own
Not of my flesh, not of my bone
Still Father let this baby be
The son of my love

Father show me where I fit into this plan of yours
How can a man be father to the Son of God
Lord for all my life I've been a simple carpenter
How can I raise a king, how can I raise a king?

He looks so small, His face and hands so fair
And when He cries the sun just seems to disappear
But when He laughs it shines again
How could it be?

Father show me where I fit into this plan of yours
How can a man be father to the Son of God
Lord for all my life I've been a simple carpenter
How can I raise a king, how can I raise a king?

How could it be this baby in my arms
Sleeping now, so peacefully
The Son of God, the angel said
How could it be? How could it be?"
by Michael Card

As we move through this Advent season, filled with wonder and delight, let us remember the reason Jesus came to earth as a baby: "because he will save his people from their sins," (Matthew 1:21b NIV). Joseph made the right choice. Once he learned that Mary had not been unfaithful, he obeyed God and married Mary. He didn't worry about what other people would think. Joseph trusted in God's plan for Jesus, and Mary and himself. We too, have a choice to make: Jesus as our Savior.

Jesus comes as a baby bringing God's Grace.


No comments:

Post a Comment