Thursday, January 17, 2019

The Best Medicine

Being someone who suffers from chronic depression isn't something to laugh about. But I'm drawn to people who make me laugh. People who can overlook my demeanor and give me something to smile about or that big belly laugh is even better.

Sometimes I just can't laugh. Something in my soul is just not made the same as others. The heaviness of my heart is too much to let the laughter spill from my lips. The week of gray days, one after another, becomes a weight on my shoulders.

Distraction is good. Exercise is good. Grandchildren are great.

I have hope.

"It seemed like a dream, too good to be true, when God returned Zion's exiles. We laughed, we sang, we couldn't believe our good fortune. We were the talk of the nations--"God was wonderful to them!" God was wonderful to us; we are one happy people. And now, God, do it again-- bring rains to our drought-stricken lives So those who planted their crops in despair will shout hurrahs at the harvest, So those who went off with heavy hearts will come home laughing, with armloads of blessing," (Psalm 126 The Message).

What a wonderful promise The Word has given us! Even someone like me who suffers a lifetime of depression will one day be a "happy people". We "will shout hurrahs at the harvest".  We will laugh and sing and be amazed at our bountiful blessings!

God has promised that one day we will "come home laughing, with armloads of blessing"!

Yes, do it again, Lord. Heal us, Lord, with the best medicine ever, laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment