Thursday, August 5, 2021

Fears

I have a fear of heights. I couldn't get too close to the edge of the Grand Canyon. I felt like it was drawing me in and I feared I would fall into the canyon. I've felt the same experience at other high places. I don't do ladders if they are too high. I couldn't look down when I stained our house on the farm. There were two high peaks that needed to be stained. The only way I could finish was to hold close to the ladder and shimmy up very slowly then not look down or lean back.Yikes. Even thinking of it makes me shake.

Driving close to the edge of a mountain or cliff is something I leave to John. Even riding makes me cling to the handles of the car and cringe. When there is a commercial on television that shows rock climbers from a view overhead, looking down, my heart drops into my stomach. There seem to be more and more of those views used. It freaks me out watching the high divers in the Olympics. Heights just aren't my thing.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand," (Isaiah 41:10 NIV).

This topic reminds me that God is always close to me: walking along the canyons, climbing the ladder, standing near a cliff. It reminds me of the chorus of a song whose source is unknown, "I Am Weak, but Thou Art Strong".

"Just a closer walk with Thee, Grant it, Jesus, is my plea, Daily walking close to Thee, Let it be, dear Lord let it be. I am weak, but Thou art strong; Jesus keep me from all wrong; I'll be satisfied as long As I walk, let me walk close to Thee. Just a closer walk with Thee, Grant it, Jesus, is my plea, Daily walking close to Thee, Let it be, dear Lord let it be. Thro' this world of toil and snares, If I falter, Lord, who cares? Who with me my burden shares? None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee. Just a closer walk with Thee, Grant it, Jesus, is my plea, Daily walking close to Thee, Let it be, dear Lord let it be."

May you walk close to our Lord everyday, where ever you may go, especially if you are up high!

No comments:

Post a Comment