Thursday, July 7, 2022

Sharing the Tasks

For more than two years now, John and I have been sharing the kitchen. Back when our son was living with us for awhile I was tired of coming up with ideas for meals. John volunteered to fix our evening meals and I would fix our lunches. I got the easy shift because I usually prepare salads for us. 

It has been rather freeing to give over 'my' kitchen to someone else. John tries to fit in fish several times a week for me. He also likes to see how fast he can prepare a meal. Especially when he warms up leftovers, his time is really fast. He also has taken over the grilling and that is a big relief to me.

The hardest part for me is staying out of the kitchen when John is preparing a meal. He tends to decide what we are going to have five minutes before he prepares it. I used to get things out a day ahead so it could thaw. He uses the microwave to thaw frozen food. Different styles lead to the same finished meal.

Back in the early church people shared everything.

"All the believers were together, and had everything in common," (Acts 2:44 NIV).

"All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had," (Acts 4:32 NIV).

We have become a sharing home and I am the lucky one in this arrangement. I will appreciate John's help for as long as it lasts because it is so hard to come up with meal ideas. John has become an excellent cook and I'm so thankful for his sharing the tasks of preparing the meals.



No comments:

Post a Comment