Thursday, August 31, 2023

Considering Work

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light," (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV). 

These verses are so comforting to me. They speak to me in so many ways and so many times in my life. I like them for Labor Day because they can be applied to days of work so well.

When I was working, even though I loved my job, I always looked forward to a day off. I think it was because we lived on an acreage and there was so much I wanted/needed to do there. I loved that I was always busy at work. I loved interviewing students and graduates or professors to tell their stories of how education changed their lives. Especially because it was so true in my own life.

Writing at the college was my dream job. I worked at a weekly newspaper for five years, writing feature stories and news reports. Then I wanted to get my college education at age 40. I attended Marshalltown Community College for two years and then went to Iowa State to get my bachelors degree in journalism and media relations. I was lucky enough to be hired by the same community college district that I had attended. My dream job.

I wish everyone who works could have their dream job. Work is hard but it can be rewarding. Labor can be exhausting, too. But the verses above always gave me hope; hope for rest. Retirement has given me that. Life holds many chapters for us. I hope you can enjoy your working days or look back at them with peace.

May your yoke be easy and your burden be light. God will give us rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment