Thursday, July 14, 2016

Summer Birthdays

"The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1 NIV).

Today and tomorrow, July 14 and July 15, were special days to my family. My daddy and mama were born one day apart so they shared their birthday celebrations throughout most of their lifetime. In 1913 most babies were born in their own homes with a doctor attending. My daddy's parents lived in rural Albion and my mama's parents lived in Liscomb township, probably 10 miles apart. The doctor was called first to the Springer residence and Corwin was born on July 14. The doctor received his next call to the Hilsabeck residence and Clara was born on July 15. They both grew up in Bethel Grove Church, were baptized in the Iowa River and shared a love of music. Twenty years after their births, they were married.

Their close birth days always created a unique aspect to their celebrations. Though I don't recall many of their birthdays I would guess that Mama usually got the leftovers unless the mothers or later the daughters made a special celebration just for her. Mama was famous for her angel food cakes and most likely, with a July birthday, they were occasions for making homemade ice cream.

Most likely, their birthdays were often associated with threshers, making hay, county fair preparation, abundant garden produce needing to be canned, lawn mowing, sweet corn to pick, or sheep to shear. Work always came first and a birthday was just another day of life.

Today and tomorrow I'm remembering two very special people, whom I deeply miss. Happy birthday, Daddy and Mama. I love you!

"One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life" (Psalm 27:4 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment