Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Imperfect Choice

The United States of America seems to be in a mess theses days. We have a lot of problems and it seems that many of them are caused by our government stepping away from the ground roots of our constitution, away from the faith of our founding fathers.

When I look at our choices for the November 2016 presidential election I see two imperfect candidates. We have about four months more of listening to the rhetoric, the name calling, the personal attacks, the dirty laundry and the self-promotion by the candidates and their supporters. One of the two candidates will eventually win (unless something totally unheard of happens). Then where will we be?

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatsoever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things" (Philippians 4:4-8 NIV).

I love this passage and I especially welcome its wisdom in light of our political environment. I am reminded that God can use every instance, every person, every situation for good. So instead of being filled with anxiety over the election ahead, I'm going to try very hard to focus on these scripture verses and apply them to the gray cloud of political fervor that surrounds us.

I will be praying for our country and the candidates, and not be anxious. I will seek the peace of God and try to focus on what is excellent and praiseworthy. I will rejoice in the Lord being near and thank Him with my whole heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment