Monday, August 1, 2016

In Augusts Past

It is a new month; it is already August. The heat and dryness of July certainly prepared us for the usual climate of August, but no doubt it will hold surprises of its own. When I was growing up August meant the fleeting days of summer were winding down. I missed seeing my school friends (since I lived in the county and attended church in a different school district). I had fun with my church friends on Sundays but the rest of the week I was pretty much a loner. There was plenty to keep me busy on the farm.

From the rooster's first cock-a-doodle-do in the morning to the crickets' chirping and locusts' murmur at night, I was enveloped by nature. There were eggs to gather, vegetables to pick, weeds to pull, grass to mow, clothes to hang out and gather when dry, animals to talk to, bikes to ride, black raspberries to find, iced tea to drink, flowers to admire, bees to avoid, plants to water, and best of all: acres to explore. I would find shady places to enjoy the coolness provided by the trees. Even without air conditioning, our house was a pleasant oasis from the hot summer sun, thanks to Mama's tender care to pull all the shades and curtains.

The creek offered a refreshing wade in its coolness. Searching for colorful or unusual rocks and driftwood was fun for hours, until in the shady areas I emerged from the water, legs covered with leeches. The butterflies and dragonflies danced happily along the stream sometimes resting on a rock or a wildflower, as if celebrating my visit. Schools of minnows would nibble at my legs as they hurried along. Even so, I would return to the pleasant, peaceful scene again and again, always revived by the beauty of nature.

"As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease," (Genesis 8:22 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment