Thursday, August 25, 2016

School Days

School is starting this week in many places and I've enjoyed seeing the first day of school pictures on Facebook. It brings back memories of sending my own boys off to school and even of my own firsts.

I don't remember my first day of kindergarten, however we moved in March of that year and I do remember my first day of going to kindergarten class in a new school. I was very shy but I remember with special blessings that one friend who came up to me and said she would show me around. I have never forgotten her kindness and we are still friends today. I also remember my teachers, Miss Smith in one school to Mrs. Smith in the new school.

Most memorable was Brent's first day of school. It had been a busy summer with a new baby to get used to so I'm sure Brent felt some separation anxiety, having to share mom and dad with his new brother. He was a very good big brother and was very loving and caring. We lived in a mobile home in the country so the excitement was a big yellow bus rumbling down the dusty road and over the bridge to pick up this little boy of mine. The bus seemed enormous as he stepped up that huge first step and waved goodbye. I remember all the fears I had. No longer were we in control of what he was going to learn. We couldn't shelter him from the world or protect him from all of the dangers.

Brady's first day of kindergarten was another emotional day. I was relieved that his big brother would be with him to help him find his room or guard him from dangers. The hard part was putting the boys on the bus and walking back up the lane to the house alone. I cried all the way.

This year holds its own emotions: granddaughter number one, Paige, began her senior year yesterday, and little Graham started kindergarten. Calvin starts his junior year today with the first cross country meet of the year tonight. Payton enters middle school (6th grade) and Bailey is in fourth grade. Piper starts a new preschool next week. How did they grow up so fast?

Parents and grandparents have struggled with these stages in life for centuries. It is a time of entrusting our children to God for His protection and guidance.

"When Joseph and Mary had done everything required by the Law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee to their own town of Nazareth. And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him...When he was 12 years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it...After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions" (Luke 2:39, 40, 42, 43, 46 NIV).

My prayers are with all the children starting school this month. May God watch over you, protect you, and place in your life good teachers and role models who will help guide you in growing up with faith. And prayers for all the moms and dads out there - may you seek God's wisdom as you parent your children through another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment