Monday, August 8, 2016

The Race Is On

I love the Olympics! Being retired during the Olympics is a dream come true. I enjoy hearing the personal stories of how hard the individuals worked, or the obstacles they overcame to achieve the right to participate in the 2016 Summer Olympics. I am in awe of the talents the athletes exhibit and find it amazing that records continue to be broken. I feel the heartbreak of those who miss their mark, finish in fourth place, or suffer an injury during competition. I feel proud of all those who finish their race or give their personal best and represent their country with honor, even without winning a medal.

"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13b-14 NIV).

Every two years, the Olympics is a great reminder to Christians that we too have a goal to aim for and achieve in life. We need to focus on our heavenly goal and continue to strive toward it each day by keeping our relationship with Christ active and alive. We are continually pushing forward, seeking the prize of eternal life with our Heavenly Father.

The scripture in Philippians tells us to leave behind the stumbles, the defeats, the painful mistakes of our past and instead lean into the promise and goodness of the future.  I may never win a gold medal in the Olympics, but I can aim for the everlasting life of the redeemed. That prize shines brighter than all the world's gold, silver, and bronze medals put together. Race on, Christians, race on.





No comments:

Post a Comment