Thursday, April 26, 2018

Claim Your Identity In Christ

I've been told I spend too much time worrying about what others think of me. Guilty. It is only when I take an honest look at who I am in Christ that I am able to lift my eyes from the ground to the heavens.

"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you," (Romans 12:3 NIV).

Although there are times I suffer with low self-esteem, there are also times that I find myself feeling a little self-righteous. I must always work at being humble. My Life Application Study Bible NIV edition suggests, "The key to an honest and accurate evaluation is knowing the basis of our self-worth--our identity in Christ. Apart from him, we aren't capable of very much by eternal standards; in him, we are valuable and capable of worthy service."

When I look at the standards set apart in scripture, I fall short every time. It is only with Christ that I can be made pure and holy in God's sight. No matter how long my list of sins is, faith in Jesus Christ gives me a clean slate, a covering of a blood sacrifice made for me (and you). Jesus Christ went to the cross for me (and you). How valuable does that make me (and you) now!

With our identity in Christ comes responsibility; love one another.

"Honor one another above yourselves," (Romans 12:10 NIV).

It is a struggle to balance our self-examination but Jesus always wins.

Who am I, Lord?
I am in You and 
You are in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment