Thursday, May 30, 2019

Frustration to Hope

Do you ever feel frustrated? I do. This week I have been trying to set up a new laptop - my first laptop, I might add. I bought a new computer when I retired in 2011. It is now tired and very slow, kind of like me. So, we went to my favorite computer store. They assured me that I could indeed transfer the files from my desktop to the MacBook without trouble. Although I wasn't sure they were correct, knowing my minimal technologic skill, I proceeded to pursue the possibility.

They suggested copying everything to the "cloud" then downloading it to the new laptop. I found out you have to pay to use the "cloud" if you have large volumes of data as I do (mostly photographs). I didn't want to purchase the space in a cloud for $10 a month, so I nixed that idea. Perhaps I could have copied small amounts at a time but that seemed tedious.

After I transferred my data to the MacBook successfully I was feeling pretty good about myself. So I tried to check my email. Guess what? No Internet connection. I have now spent the better part of two days, trying to figure out how to connect to our own WiFi. I'm frustrated. I called my tech squad who after running me through the paces of proper connectivity concluded that I should call my service and find out why I didn't have enough power to connect two computers to the Internet.

I talked with the service on the phone and went through rebooting the Internet modem several times, running up and down the stairs to the basement and back to the MacBook. (yes, I now realize I could have taken the laptop with me, dah) The person whose accent I could barely understand finally got tired of me (I believe) and told me I needed to call Apple.

Frustration.

Do you know who felt frustration in the Bible? Moses. His people were preposterous. Again and again they turned against God's Word. Sinning again and again. Just like us. Moses interceded for the people time and time again. And God was merciful. Moses had just returned from the mountain with the two tablets in his hands. "The tablets were the work of God; the writing was the writing of God, engraved on the tablets," (Exodus 32:16 NIV).

"When Joshua heard the noise of the people shouting, he said to Moses, "There is the sound of war in the camp." Moses replied, "It is not the sound of victory, it is not the sound of defeat; it is the sound of singing that I hear." When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing, his anger burned and he threw the tablets out of his hands, breaking them to pieces at the foot of the mountain," (Exodus 32:17-19 NIV).

I may feel like throwing something (not the MacBook - it's too expensive) but like Moses, I will calm down and take the process, step by step, and eventually figure out (or find someone who can) what needs to be done to make things work.

Don't give up today. God is with you and in spite of your frustration, He will see you through to the hope He promises. What a wonderful God we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment