Monday, December 9, 2019

Joseph’s Dream

Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins,” (Matthew 1:19-21 NIV). 

What a heart-heavy burden Joseph must have felt as he went to bed that night. The young woman he cared about was pregnant. He wasn’t the father. That makes for a sleepless night. How could this be? What do I do? She is such a nice girl. There will be such scandal. Lord, what should I do?

Thoughts. A mind-full of thoughts. Tossing and turning. Finally, sleep. Then, answers came.

God sent the rest of the story to Joseph through an angel in a dream. Information that probably made the rest of the night go by quickly. More thoughts: It’s true. It must be true. It is just how Mary explained it. How can I be a father to the Savior of the world? I’m a carpenter. Oh Lord, I’m so humbled. You even want me to name Him, Jesus. He will save His people from their sins! What a life we have ahead. Oh, God, give me the grace to do my job for You.

What is God’s dream for you this Christmas season? 

May it bring glory to God on High! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment