Thursday, December 12, 2019

Sing From Your Heart

"Sing songs from your heart to Christ. Sing praises over everything, any excuse for a song to God the Father in the name of our Master, Jesus Christ," (Ephesians 5:19 MSG).

I can't think about Christmas without considering the power of music this season. From the Christmas carols playing in stores to lure you into spending money, to the magnificent choruses of Handel's The Messiah; there is music for everyone this season. And every bit of it can touch your heart.

From the time I could talk, Christmas caroling became part of my family's tradition every December. Dad led a group of church members on a trail ride through the country side stopping at all the shut-ins homes and gathering at the door to sing a set of Christmas carols ending with "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". A plate of homemade cookies from the church women topped off the visit.

The complete repertoire of Christmas carols was at hand, depending on who thought of a song first or if the shut-in had a favorite. More than once eyes were filled with tears as we sang. "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel", "O Come, All Ye Faithful", "It Came Upon the Midnight Clear", "Hark! the Herald Angels Sing", "The First Noel", "Away in a Manger", "Go, Tell It on the Mountain", "Silent Night", "Joy to the World", "O Little Town of Bethlehem".

My house is filled with Christmas music especially when I'm baking cookies or decorating the house. My heart feels light and my soul feels happy and sometimes I sing along - even though my tone and key may be off, the joy that flows blankets the sound I make.

For more years than I can count, the Christmas program wasn't complete without my father singing, "O Holy Night", often accompanied by my mother. The Christmas season is meant for music. Music stirs the heart, sometimes with sadness, during times of loss, but also with joy for the arrival of our blessed Savior, Jesus Christ.

It is my prayer that music brings you joy this season and that your heart sings with praises to God for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment