Monday, December 16, 2019

Traveling Home

I always lived a short car ride from my grandparents while I was growing up so we never had to make a long distance trip to see them. My grandfather was in a nursing home and his wife lived in a house one town away. She made fudge at Christmas time. My paternal grandmother was a widow and lived in the town near our farm. I don't remember Christmas at her house but she joined in our family gatherings for the holidays.

My study Bible suggests that the trip for Mary and Joseph from Nazareth to Bethlehem was about 70 miles. That is more than an hour in cars these days. Imagine making the trip on foot and with a donkey to ride. There were probably many people on the same roads, all trying to reach their own tax paying station. Rush-day traffic, congestion, greeting others along the way.

It was all God's will.

"And everyone went to his own town to register. So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child," (Luke 2:3-5 NIV).

What an inconvenient time to have to travel! And then there was no where for them to stay. An inn keeper took pity on the couple and they had to rest in the barn or cave out back! All of this was in God's plan, prophesied years ago by Micah.

Sometimes I wish I could see God's plan. I wonder what is ahead and how my past fits into the total picture of my life. It must be a puzzle with each piece fitting into the whole. I'm glad God has a plan for me and for you.

May today be blessed richly with God's love and protection as we prepare for the celebration of the birth of our Savior. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment