Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Box

My Bible reading is taking me through Kings and Chronicles so I've been reading about Solomon building   the temple for the Arc of the Covenant. The construction of it is described in great detail and it reminded me of a project John did for me this winter.

I have a sort of card ministry I do and have lots of cards on hand to meet the needs that may arise. I had them on a shelf of a bookcase in my office. It was at the back of the office so it wasn't so visible. To get to them I had to get down on the floor to search for the right card. They were separated by category so they were easy to find. But John thought it was an inconvenience to kneel down and proposed a box he could make to hold the cards. He was rather insistent so he proceeded with the project.

John made a beautiful oak box and placed it in the middle of my file cabinet. It is thirty-six inches long, eleven inches wide, and nine inches high. It is made of red oak and features two long doors on top that open. There are four rubber feet on the bottom and four brass hinges with two brass knobs on the doors. The box was glued and sanded so no nails were used. It was stained in oak and varnished with clear coat. John calls it "just a rough box" but he is most proud of the invisible joints.

"Solomon had made a bronze platform and had placed it in the middle of the enclosure. It was seven and one-half feet long, seven and one-half feet wide, and four and one-half feet high. He stood on it and then got down on his knees in front of the entire assembly of Israel. He spread out his hands toward the sky, and prayed," (2 Chronicles 6:13-14 NIV).

The new box is very handy for me to reach my cards now. John's thoughtfulness is saving my back and making it fun to choose and send cards again. And I own a one-of-a-kind box that I bet no one else has. I am most grateful for my husband's talents and precision tooling.

God gives us all different talents to be used to honor Him. 

Lord, help us to use our gifts to bring glory to Your Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment