Thursday, April 29, 2021

Through the Waters

When I was a little girl I was very shy. I would hide behind my mother's skirts. I remember being afraid when trying to recite my piece for the Christmas program in Sunday school. It was painful to be in front of a crowd and just as fearful when I was the center of attention. I wasn't comfortable. In fact, it makes me uncomfortable just thinking of situations when I was shy.

It took developing self confidence to begin to overcome the shyness and that took a lifetime. I tried to enroll in college three different times before I was able to make myself go. That's why I was nearly forty before I became an adult student. It took a number of jobs and life experiences to become accepting of myself. 

I worked as a receptionist, an insurance processor, and a newspaper reporter, five years each. In college I was able to do well and that increased my confidence. But most of all, my dependence on God is what helped the most.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;" (Isaiah 43:2-3 NIV). 

I still struggle with shyness at times in certain situations. But, I've learned to trust God to help me through new and challenging situations. I've found that putting myself out there reaps benefits of new friendships and experiences. God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment