Monday, December 20, 2021

Christmas Memories

"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation," (Isaiah 12:2 NIV). 

When my family gathered for Christmas my parents' huge farm house was full. I have three sisters and all their children who were able to come made a great house full. We gathered in the kitchen, women helping prepare the Christmas feast, men peeking their noses in for a snack or to pester. As each family group arrived there was a great welcome from everyone. Mother was in charge but each person was responsible for what they brought. The food was set out buffet style on the counter and added tables as needed. One table was reserved for desserts: homemade pies, pistachio dessert, and Christmas cookies by the dozens.

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his hearth gently leads those that have young," (Isaiah 40:11 NIV).

The dinner table was full and often another table was set up in the living room to accommodate everyone. Sometimes there was a table in the kitchen for the younger kids. Daddy would offer his prayer before we went out to fill our plates. The best part of the day was the stories that were told around the dinner table. There was laughter, non stop. Sometimes all it took was a look across the table at another sister and the giggling would begin. The men would egg the sisters on and tease us. It became a table of delightful laughter.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand," (Isaiah 41:10 NIV).

After the dishes were done and the food put away, we would gather in the living room making a circle around the room with the Christmas tree in the corner. The kids would hand out presents from beneath the tree and we would take turns opening the gifts. Then the fun began with one of the pianists taking the piano and playing Christmas carols. All would sing. Since Mom and Dad have been gone we haven't had a Springer Christmas together. Their big house is gone, too.

Memories are precious keepsakes of the heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment