Thursday, March 24, 2022

My Story

I always wanted to be a writer. When I was in elementary school I wrote out lessons as a teacher. In middle school and high school I joined the school newspaper. My favorite test questions were essays. Projects that involved writing were my best. I knew journalism would be my dream career. 

I got a job as a reporter for a small-town weekly paper. There I learned the ropes of news writing and laying out the newspaper when it was still done manually. I reported on city council meetings, school board meetings and community events. My favorite was writing feature stories about people in the school district we lived in. I wrote for the paper for five years, until I decided to go to school full-time and earn a degree in journalism.

I was forty-years-old, my dream lasted a long time. It waited for me. I completed my AA from Marshalltown Community College and then went to Iowa State University to complete my BA in mass communication, with an emphasis in public relations and a minor in English. I finished in four years, taking classes during every session that was offered and evening classes, too. 

Then I worked for eleven years for Iowa Valley Community College District as a supervisor of media relations. After I retired I began writing this blog. This is number 791.

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life," (John 8:12 NIV).

I'm thankful I have the light in me and I pray that the light shines through me to touch you each time I write. That is my goal. I'm thankful that your light shines through you to lighten my walk, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment