Monday, February 6, 2023

Grocery Shopping

Every week we go through the same process of shopping for groceries. You probably do, too. During the past year the task has become very expensive. Almost painful! 

For some the task of grocery shopping is dreadful. Some people don't mind it and a few really enjoy it. During the past year John became the sole grocery shopper because my hand was useless. I admit I didn't accompany him on the trips very often and that was nice. But now that I have two working hands I go with John most of the time. He hasn't given me the task back yet. So, I think he enjoys it.

When I shop I like to use a list that is sorted by the layout of the store I'm shopping in. We have a list posted in the kitchen where we write down what is needed. I locate the item on the list appropriately. John, not so much. That makes shopping that much harder when the items are mixed up on the list.

Having a list helps prevent some of the temptations in the grocery aisles. I try to avoid the bakery department completely. The cookie aisle is also bad and the candy aisle should be avoided. Temptations lurk everywhere. Especially on the ends of the aisles.

"Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare," (Isaiah 55:2 NIV).

""Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive." (1 Corinthians 10:23 NIV).

The Bible offers several suggestions regarding what we eat and they are all good advice to accompany us to the grocery store. Good luck on your next visit to the store; may it be a delightful experience!

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God," 1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment