Monday, December 4, 2023

Christmas Cards

Yesterday was the first Sunday of Advent, the beginning of the celebration of the coming of Christ. Many churches light candles for each Sunday in December plus a final candle for Christmas. 

Years ago I prepared for Christmas by making my own Christmas cards. I researched scriptures on sheep and found dozens of them. I love the images of the lamb and sheep used to reference Jesus Christ. I used scriptures about sheep and added rugged sketches of sheep to cards that I had printed. I'm not an artist so the resulting cards were less than beautiful but the scriptures were meaningful to me.

As I look back on the cards I made I am rather embarrassed and very glad that I started buying cards that had sheep on them instead. Every year I look for sheep cards and sometimes the choices are very limited. It seems there are getting to be fewer people who send out Christmas cards. It has gotten expensive with the price of stamps these days but it is one way to stay in touch with the special people in our lives.

"But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will be the shepherd of my people Israel," (Matthew 2:6 NIV).

May you watch for the Lamb's presence during this Advent season and may it remind you of the coming of Christ Jesus as a baby born in Bethlehem.

No comments:

Post a Comment