Thursday, March 14, 2024

Jars of Clay

When I retired from Iowa Valley Community College District, a dear friend there gave me a shamrock plant in a clay pot. She said she transplanted it outside when the weather was warm enough and moved it back in before the cold hit. I was always amazed that she did this because the shamrock seems so fragile.

"So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him. Then the word of the Lord came to me: O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?" declares the Lord. "Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand," (Jeremiah 18:3-6 NIV).

My shamrock's pot is becoming rather ugly as mineral deposits accumulate on the outside of the pot. I'm sure this must mean that it is time to repot it with fresh soil and perhaps a different pot. Yet, I feel the aged pot holds the touch of my dear friend who has since passed away.

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body," (2 Corinthians 4:8-11 NIV).

Easter is just two and a half weeks away. Jesus' final steps on this earth were taken for us. He endured persecution unlike any of us will experience. Yet, as believers, we carry the death of Jesus in our body so we can reveal the life of Jesus through us, to help others believe.

Thank You, Lord God, for sending Your Son Jesus Christ to save us from our sin. Take these pots of clay and form us into shining reflections of Your Son's life, so we will show others Your love and mercy each day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment