Monday, March 18, 2024

The Greatest Teacher

"Listen and hear my voice; pay attention and hear what I say," (Isaiah 28:23 NIV). 

Jesus had only three years to teach, but look at all He taught! As I think of the disciples listening to Jesus speak, I imagine myself kneeling at His feet, busily trying to take notes on all He said. How did His followers take in all He taught? My mind would be spinning, trying to remember everything Jesus said. I guess it is overwhelmed even today as I ponder the events leading to His crucifixion.

When I worked as a newspaper reporter, I remember writing as fast as I could to take notes on what the person I was interviewing had to say. I developed my own kind of shorthand to help me get the information down as correctly as possible. One of my duties was to report on the school board meetings. Over several years I developed a knowledge of the educational system in our community.

That must have been the way it was for the disciples who listened to Jesus during those three years. They didn't take notes with pencils. They captured Jesus' teachings in their minds by carefully listening to Jesus' voice. I'm so thankful that some of them recorded what they heard so we, too, could learn what Jesus taught.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light," (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV). 

Lord God, thank You for sending Your Son to teach us Your ways. We accept His yoke and learn from His teachings, and we find rest for our souls. Thank You for all the lessons Jesus shared with the disciples. Thank You that we, too, can learn the lessons from the Greatest Teacher of all time. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment