Thursday, March 28, 2024

The Rest of the Story

Today is Maundy Thursday, the day of Holy Week that we recognize Jesus' holy acts of washing the feet of the disciples and sharing His final Passover meal with them. When Jesus washed the feet of the disciples, it displayed His overwhelming humility and He taught the disciples to do the same for others.

Remembering this day of Jesus' life brings me to my knees. I imagine being in that upper room with Jesus' closest friends and one who would betray Him. The disciples couldn't imagine that their Mentor and Savior would no longer be with them in but a few days. If only they had realized. 

Thankfully, the story doesn't end on Good Friday with the crucifixion. We know the whole story and the power of Jesus' resurrection from the dead. We know that Jesus' humble acts changed our lives forever. 

"Before we can walk in newness of life, we must also die to sin. Just as the resurrection gives us Christ's power to live for Him, His crucifixion marks the death of our sinful nature. We can't know the victory of the resurrection without personally applying the crucifixion." (NIV Life Application Study Bible, notes on Philippians 3:10).

"I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead," (Philippians 3:10 NIV). 

One of my favorite old Easter hymns is "I Serve a Risen Savior" by Alfred H. Ackley, 1933. The words are so applicable today.

"I serve a risen Savior, He's in the world today; I know that He is living, whatever men may say; I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer, And just the time I need Him He's always near. 

He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way. He lives, He lives, salvation to impart! You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart.  

In all the world around me I see His loving care, And tho' my heart grows weary, I never will despair; I know that He is leading thro' all the stormy blast, The day of His appearing will come at last. (Refrain)  

Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian, lift up your voice and sing Eternal hallelujahs to Jesus Christ the King! The Hope of all who seek Him, the Help of all who find, None other is so loving, so good and kind. 

He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today! He walks with me and talks with me along life's narrow way. He lives, He lives, salvation to impart! You ask me how I know He lives? He lives within my heart."

May you have a very blessed Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment