Thursday, January 29, 2015

Coyotes

We had visitors last night, again. There is something so eerie about an animal that is only heard and not seen in the darkness unless it is their eyes reflecting the powerful flashlight searching for them. I had just gotten home from Bible study and walked inside when we suddenly heard a screeching howl, almost like a group of babies crying very loudly. The sound takes you back at first because it is so strange and you struggle to identify, "What was that?" Then in seconds you realize it is coyotes that are very near.

We are fortunate to have all the baby lambs inside a closed shed safely with their mothers but there are about 15 young ewes who are in an outside open shed. They have our guard dog to keep them safe, hopefully.

John immediately kicks into a 'danger' zone and rushes out the door yelling to try to scare the coyotes away. They seem oblivious to the yelling and the dog's barking at first. Then John rushes back through the house and out the garage door, grabbing the power flashlight. He opened the garage door and runs out the lane yelling again, 'hey, hey, hey'. Immediately the coyotes go quiet and we're left to wonder where they are and what they are doing. He checked the outdoor sheep who took shelter in the shed. All is well. The dog keeps barking and he is moving away so we imagine the coyotes have also distanced themselves from the farm. Bella keeps barking from the far end of the pasture but there is no response from the coyotes.

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom " (John 12:32 NIV). "But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil"(Proverbs 1:33 KJV).

Just as the sheep have the shepherd to protect them, we too have a protector, a Shepherd to guard our lives, no matter what frightens us.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident" (Psalm 27: 1, 3 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment