Monday, August 3, 2015

Early Morning Chore Duty

"Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep." (John 21:15b-17 NIV).

It is a beautiful summer morning over Iowa today. Perfectly calm and slightly cool with a few clouds in the distance. The mourning doves were cooing and another unknown cheerful tweet echoed from the branches of the nearby pine tree. The bright red sun was peeking over the horizon spreading its light over the earth while the moon hung high in the south sky.

The sheep were happy to see me and began their hungry dance as I carefully measured out each portion. The rambunctious group of eight banged around in their pen, waiting quite impatiently for their turn. While one by one the others quieted as they began eating. Soon the barn was quiet as happiness spilled over the lambs quickly devouring their feed.

Even Bella was excited to see me, hoping for a special treat that I did not have, settling for a fresh pan of food. As I left the barn a bright pair of cardinals greeted me on their morning outing. As I walked up the hill to the house the blazing yellow sprayer plane passed above headed for a field somewhere in Marshall County, I'd guess. The house wrens were awake and joyous as I went inside. What a beautiful morning God has given us to feed His sheep.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking back to when the kids came over to feed the sheep. The food in a bag, God's food is in the Bible, our responsibility is to get food out of the Bible to give to the sheep in the correct proportions and with the gentleness as one would feed sheep.

    ReplyDelete