Thursday, August 6, 2015

Ice Cream Cravings

I've been on a new health plan for over three months now and it is going pretty well. But I still crave ice cream, my weakness food. Because ice cream is a processed food and contains carbohydrates that aren't healthful, it isn't on my list of foods to eat. So sad.

My daddy raised me to eat ice cream. It was a special treat to go somewhere with him and stop for an ice cream cone on the way home. The event was coated in love. He loved to enjoy a bowl of ice cream after supper and so did I. For me the smooth and creamy treat became a feel good bonus for whenever I was feeling down. And I felt down a lot.

I'd place a spoon in a bowl of perfectly white ice cream, yes, plain old vanilla, and the celebration would begin. Each scoop melted slowly in my mouth, requiring effortless chewing and followed by an easy slide down my throat. The coolness was refreshing and soothing and led to yet another bite and another until all that was left in my bowl was a thin coating of ice cream marred by spoon scrapings. Sinful indulgence.

This week my health coach told me to have a little taste of ice cream since I was feeling so deprived. But, I'm afraid to release my cravings, for fear they will take over. Maybe it will be a total disappointment, not nearly as good as I dreamed it to be. I could only hope.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes" (Luke 12:22-23 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment