Monday, August 24, 2015

School Days

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom" (James 3:13 NIV).

Many school children will head back to school this week and I can't help but reflect on my own school days or those of my children. I remember walking down our long lane in the cool of the morning. The grass was wet with dew and the air was crisp and fresh. I'd shiver while I waited for the big yellow bus to come rumbling down the gravel road surrounded by a cloud of dust. The first day was always a little scary with the unknowns of where to sit, who to sit with, who else would be on the bus. In all my school days my bus driver was always pleasant and friendly, welcoming me on board with a smile.

The rides were sometimes very long and became noisy as more children boarded. The first day of school was probably one of the quietest rides as children were absorbed in their thoughts and a little tentative. I would look forward to stops where friends lived, waiting anxiously to see them again after a summer's absence. There was so much to catch up on and share though I never had stories of a vacation to share as many other kids did. It was fun hearing about their travels yet I couldn't truly understand since our big summer trip was a day at the State Fair.

At last, the bus would arrive at the school and the folding door would open, ready for us to disembark. The sidewalk seemed oversized and the walk was long on that first day but there were teachers and children all around creating an atmosphere of excitement and joy. Those days were long ago, yet my heart beats quickly as I think of those first days of so many years in my life. How wonderful that there were caring teachers to welcome us into a classroom where the world was revealed to us! So much new to learn and embrace. How amazing is the knowledge that was learned, one year added to another and another until a child becomes confident, scholarly, and sensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment