Thursday, January 7, 2016

In the Beginning

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light" (Genesis 1:1-3 NIV).

It's a new year and a new chapter of life is underway. It's a foggy January day after an icy coating was left on the ground last evening. It's hard to get fired up about a new day when the sun is hidden by the low floating clouds. I try to visualize the sun breaking through the fog, revealing the beauty of winter in the sparkling sunshine. Even though I know the sun is there, above the fog, it is hidden from me now.

There is something optimistic about beginning something a new. There is a blank slate in front of you ready to receive whatever you choose to create or do. The past is behind and can be forgotten while you focus on starting fresh. Just like the blank calendars that were hung on New Year's Day, we can start to fill our days with whatever we decide.

On a gray, gloomy day I can choose to feel the light of Jesus shining in my life, warming me with His love. I can allow his light to guide me in doing what is good and right and meaningful. I can follow the path that is illuminated for me by my ever-present Savior.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it" (John 1:1-5 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment