Monday, January 25, 2016

Unusual Places

I've seen scripture verses written on billboards, on signs in sports arenas, on shirts and pictures but on Saturday night I saw an unusual sight. Perhaps it is just because I do not normally spend time watching boxing; yet I was intrigued when John pointed out that one of boxers in the ring had the scripture Acts 2:38 stitched into the waistband of his boxing shorts. His shorts were red and white and the boxer eventually lost the fight by decision.

I wonder how many others noticed the scripture reference and how many people actually took the time to look it up. Obviously I know nothing about this boxer, his personality or testimony but putting this scripture in a very visible place seems to show that he wants others to read the verse and be blessed by it. I don't usually do a good job of remembering scripture or memorizing verses. But I did remember the boxer's verse and I looked it up this morning.

"Peter replied, 'Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit'" (Acts 2:38 NIV).

What a testimony for this boxer to proclaim! This verse meant enough to him to broadcast it to the world of boxing. I watched his actions through the rest of the fight and was most struck by what he did after the winner was announced. He congratulated the winning boxer with sincerity, it seemed. He really appeared joyous for the other boxer. Then as the winner gathered up his infant daughter and put a miniature trophy belt on her and paraded around the ring in his championship belt, the boxer who lost came up and admired the little girl and her daddy, congratulating them again.

Signs of faith show up in lots of unusual places. I wonder what I can do today to turn others toward Christ Jesus? Lord, help me show love and kindness to others so they will seek you in their quiet moments and grow in a relationship with you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment