Monday, June 6, 2016

So Many Pieces

I've been going through these months of preparing to move, packing, moving and unpacking and it has made me realize how complex our lives can be. It is only when we break things down to our day-to-day tasks that we are able to manage all the pieces of our lives. We get control of things and they become routine, no longer worrisome. I've been surprised at all of the little challenges there are to face when they are new, or firsts, that later become uneventful.

On Thursday I mowed the lawn for the first time. I was nervous about it. Living in town, who would be watching, what should I wear, will the noise bother someone, can I step on the neighbors lawn when I turn around? I had all these ridiculous thoughts. I found that while I was mowing I didn't notice much of what else was going on. I tried to make my lines straight so it would look nice and I discovered spaces between the sod where we have bare ground and on the side where a neighbor's house is still being built we have tubes of sand to edge. Next time won't be so stressful.

I found that it is almost as much work to sweep off the sidewalk and driveway as it is to mow! We didn't have a concrete driveway on the acreage and just a short sidewalk. I can imagine it will be a big job to shovel snow as well. Then there was getting used to a gas stove - something I am enjoying greatly. I'd forgotten how much more control there is with a gas burner.

Our mailbox is in a metal locker system a block or so away. We need a key to open our box and there is a slot for outgoing mail, along with many additional boxes for the neighbors. They looked so small at first. Only about two inches tall and maybe 10 inches wide but they are very deep and hold considerably more than I expected.

There are so many pieces to our lives that must fit together to run smoothly.

"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy". Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect" (1 Peter 1:13-19 NIV).


No comments:

Post a Comment