Monday, June 27, 2016

Taking the First Step

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" (Matthew 6:26-27 NIV).

Yesterday I was driving down Oralabor Road (a busy four lane in Ankeny) and I stopped for a red light, waiting to turn left on a green arrow. I suddenly realized that the traffic going the opposite direction was backed up next to me and I wondered what had happened. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a procession of geese calmly crossing four lanes of traffic to get to a pond on the other side. It wasn't just a mother and her babies. It was a parade of more than 20 adult geese in single file. It was amazing to see this busy road come to a complete stop as these geese proceeded on their walk. I even saw a few smiles replace the usual intense hurry, hurry, hurry on faces.

It restored my faith in human nature a bit, to see this display of patience and kindness. What courage that first goose had when she stepped out on the asphalt jungle without hesitation! If only we could step out in our Christian walk with such confidence. We all know someone who could use a little encouragement in their faith - to attend church, read the Bible, join a Bible study group, involve their kids in Vacation Bible School. Who can you help take the first step toward knowing Jesus? Reach out to them today.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Isaiah 41:10 NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment