Monday, May 29, 2017

We Remember

What a beautiful start to Memorial Day. The bright sunshine and blue sky always make a striking background to the rows of American Flags that proudly stand guard over the fallen today. It's such a powerful sight; the red, white and blue waving with strength in the breeze. My hand is drawn to my heart in respect for our country and the many military men and women who have protected our country with their lives, their service, their time and their devotion.

What hurts my heart just as much is the awareness of the mental torture that many of our service men and women have returned home to live with for the rest of their lives. I can't even imagine the horrible sights that remain frozen in their brains to continually haunt them through their lifetime. It is no wonder they experience nightmares or are unable to even close their eyes for the atrocities that return to torment them, over and over again.

"I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted," (Psalm 77:1-2 NIV).

To the Veterans who suffer yet today, I pray that God will bring to you, a Counselor who can help you through the pain that lives in you. May God be a beacon that shines to them, drawing them near as He holds them securely in His loving arms of compassion. May God touch the broken hearts of the families who grieve a loved one who served so faithfully. As we remember all those who we miss so much, may God bring comfort and healing and peace.

"Then I thought, "To this I will appeal: the years of the right hand of the Most High." I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds" (Psalm 77: 10-12 NIV).

Lord, I pray that You will come to those who are hurting as they remember and bring them new hope in Your Son, Jesus Christ. Thank you for providing a Way for us to draw close to You during our times of sorrow and pain. Help us to remember to turn our eyes to You alone, who will heal us of our sadness and fill the sky with Your Light, the Way to a future of hope and wellness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment