Thursday, January 25, 2018

Wonderful Teacher

Who is/was your favorite teacher? Teachers are special people who inspire us to learn something new and exciting. It may be someone who touched your heart in a way you never imagined before. You may have several favorites - if you were lucky. There are some teachers I hardly remember, but I can name two high school teachers who changed my life.

My favorite class in high school was English I, II, III, and IV. My freshman English teacher was Miss Keifer (?).  I remember her as young and professional. She inspired me to love English and writing, even more than I did before. I don't have a specific incident to recall but the entire experience left me believing that I could write. I felt like I finally found something I could do well. I wish I could find her to say, "thank you".

The positive support and direction was compounded by my junior and senior English instructor Mrs. Soorholtz. She gave me the confidence to work on the school newspaper and to express my thoughts and feelings on paper. Later, I had wonderful instructors at Marshalltown Community College who also encouraged my writing growth and improvement, as well as my general knowledge in grammar, spelling, math, science, religion and sociology.

Thank you to all of my teachers who touched my heart with their patience, direction, and inspiration.

"After John (the Baptist) was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. "The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!" (Mark 1:14-15 NIV).

I know that Jesus was a wonderful teacher. He loved and cared for each of His students/disciples. In the Bible the first recorded teaching moment was with four fishermen on the Sea of Galilee. Jesus asked them to, "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men," (Mark 1:17 NIV). This simple story is so good that it was made into a child's song.

The time was ripe for teaching. The wonderful teacher begins.


SDG  
Soi Deo gloria - Glory for God alone


No comments:

Post a Comment