Thursday, February 1, 2018

By the Waters I Bear Fruit

I wonder sometimes if I am like this amaryllis plant. Do I keep growing in my faith yet, I do not produce fruit or a flower? I came to the kitchen one morning to find the amaryllis plant with the leaves hanging over on its side. I quickly leaned it against the cupboard and found a stake and rubber band to prop it up. My daughter-in-law told me it should have a bud by now; it is a dud. I wasn't ready to give up on it yet, but her wisdom with an amaryllis is greater than mine. 
Amaryllis Week 4
Instead of a beautiful bloom to bring a sign of spring's beauty to the house, the plant has become a reminder to me of my fruitfulness or lack there-of. I began to wonder if I am being fruitful with my life. What fruit am I producing? Do I need a pruning?

"I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful... Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches... apart from me you can do nothing," (John 15:1-5 NIV).

Amaryllis Week 5
The scripture is Jesus' own teaching. He taught this to His disciples while He knew His death was imminent. This was important and He wanted His disciples to know it.

But Jeremiah had taught it hundreds of years earlier. "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

Humbly, I know I am in Christ and Christ is in me. I strive to be close to Him every day, through my Bible studies, small group, worship, and reading His word, over and over and over. God's Word is like water to me, constantly feeding me so I can bear fruit. I hope this blog, and each blog I write, can be fresh water that helps you bear fruit also. 

Lord, feed us, prune us, water us, and lead us to produce the fruit You desire. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment