Monday, February 12, 2018

Precious Love

I shouldn't have difficulty writing a Valentine's Day blog, since we attended a marriage retreat that had us thinking about our relationship all weekend. I have no problem focusing on how precious my "love" is. Truly, John is the best thing in my life (second only to God, my Father) and he has been for more than the 45 years we will be married in October.

John makes me feel special every day. He cheers me up when I'm down and he comforts me when I'm sad. He redirects my focus when I'm lost in a cloud of thoughts and he helps me appreciate all that I
John and Gloria 2016
have when I only see the gloom.

God had His hands in our relationship from the beginning. During the summer of 1971, I got a random phone call asking me to go to the circus. I said "no, I have to work." It was true but I could have rearranged my cleaning day for Nellee, but I didn't. I didn't know John very well. He was a friend of my neighbor and I'd seen him at school; he was two years older. More than a year later I received another random phone call from John asking me out. Again, I said, "no, I have to work."

Evidently I told him where I worked so the night I'd told him I would be working, John walked into Walden Books. He was handsome and well-dressed and had the nicest smile. He asked me out again and I couldn't say "no" to his face. So our first date was put on the books. It was mid-September 1972.

He won me over, even after he arrived with another couple (I didn't know) for our first date. Who does that?! We dated whenever possible. He asked my parents for my hand in marriage and I received an engagement ring on Christmas Eve that same year. Talk about moving fast!

Our marriage probably wouldn't have survived without God. I believe He matched us in heaven long before we were even born. Although we made many mistakes along the way, we firmly believed that we were meant to be together. We refused to consider divorce during those hard times and we are still together to prove God's plan was our plan, too.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails," (1 Corinthians 13:4-8 NIV).

These words from Paul's Love Chapter (1Corinthians 13), are always a good reminder to keep us on track. His eloquent language defines real love, the gift that is most important over all the other spiritual gifts. Remind yourself of the love that God commands us to share with others.

Love one another. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment