Monday, February 4, 2019

A Hot Cup to Hold

My winter beverage of choice is hot water. No tea, or coffee, or cocoa, just plain hot water. It warms me up without taste or calories. That is what I want and need in the cooler-than-comfortable-to-me house. At some point I realized I wasn't enjoying the taste of coffee and a tea bag always made a mess; I just wanted something to warm my hands as I held it and warm the inside of me when I drank it.

The winter we experienced last week brought out all the ideas of keeping warm inside. I made several items of comfort food and drank lots of hot water. I sat covered by a warm fleece blanket my granddaughters made us for Christmas. I thought about the hot brick some would place in their beds to warm them before bedtime. I'm thankful someone invented electric blankets. When I went outside, I was covered top to bottom by my old hooded, quilted coat, a sweatshirt underneath, thick knit gloves from Japan, long pants and high soft-lined boots. It was not a great look but it kept me warm.

I thought a lot about the homeless on the nights that were below zero. Actually, I thought about them day and night. I couldn't imagine having to spend a night outside even if the temperature was at freezing. My heart ached for those struggling without a warm home and a pillow to rest their head. But what did I do about it?

"Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead," (James 2:15-17 NIV).

We have donated blankets and boots to needy families, and money to Hope Industries in Des Moines, and the Salvation Army. But, I wonder if I'm doing enough? Everyone is called to different tasks in ministry. We have different gifts we share with others, but what is enough? I must pray about this and seek to fill the ministry that God has chosen for me to do.

Help me, Lord, to see and hear the needs within my reach, then help fill them. I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment