Thursday, February 28, 2019

Open Our Ears to Hear

"Blessed Lord, who caused
 all holy Scriptures to be 
written for our learning: 
Grant us so to hear." 
Verna J. Dozier

As I turned to my Bible Concordance this morning, the book opened to hear/heard, just what I was looking up to go with the above quote. (First sign that this topic was from God). Before me were two full pages of references on hear, heard, hearers, hearing, and hears. I didn't realize how many passages there were on this word(s). (Second sign that this topic was from God). As I searched the references, the scripture from Acts jumped out at me and when I read it I found a note that I'd written that said the scripture Paul quotes in Acts is from the Old Testament, Isaiah 6:9,10, verses that are used at least seven different times in the New Testament. (Third sign that this topic was from God). Praise the Lord!

 "The Holy Spirit spoke the truth to your forefathers when he said through Isaiah the prophet: 'Go to this people and say, "You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving." For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.' Therefore I want you to know that God's salvation has been sent to the Gentiles, and they will listen!"(Acts 28:26-27 NIV).

As I grew older I found my eyesight was the first to fail me around age 40. Now it is my hearing that is beginning to go, though sometimes I think I just forget to focus on what is being said. I hope that my heart never becomes calloused.

My prayer today is that I would not be one spoken of in the scriptures: one who never understands, never perceives. I want to be one who sees with my eyes, hears with my ears and understands with my heart. 

Lord, open my eyes and ears and my heart so I can perceive all that the Scriptures have to tell me about Your Son who came to save me from my sins. Thank you for the gift of Your Word. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment