Thursday, February 14, 2019

A Patient Love

Happy Valentine's Day!

In the 45 years John and I have been married he has shown his love to me in so many ways, yet no greater than the times I was in deep depression. The fact that he stood by me, through years of despondency and emptiness, as I truly struggled to choose life over death, patiently waiting for improvement and recovery is worthy of sainthood in my mind.

During a one-year period I spent more than three months in the hospital, leaving John to work and hold down the household with two young children. At the time I was so out-of-it that I couldn't even worry about the complexity of it all. The burden was on John's shoulders alone. This is the greatest gift he ever gave me.

At our wedding our pastor read from the Love chapter.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails," (1 Corinthians 13:4-8a NIV).

John certainly got more than he bargained for. Yet, he has upheld his part beyond expectation. As I reflect on all the beautiful roses he sent to my office on Valentine's Days, year after year. And the countless lovely gifts through the years, what I hold closest to my heart is the way he stood by me even when it must have seemed there was no hope.

Thank you, my beloved husband John, for being the wonderful man you are. Happy Valentine's Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment