Monday, March 18, 2019

Am I a Mary or a Martha Today?

I used to write feature stories for a local weekly newspaper about interesting people and their unique life stories. It was delightful getting to know people and hearing their stories, then crafting it into an article subscribers would read.

Then, when I worked at the college I wrote stories about students and shared their special challenges or successes in testimonials for the school. It was so enjoyable to write and share their stories with area newspaper readers.

There were no newspapers in Jesus' days. Instead, news traveled by mouth. It is interesting that Luke chose to share the story of Mary and Martha, a story that still resonates with us in the 21st Century.

The familiar story of Mary and Martha places Jesus at their home, probably for a meal. Martha was scurrying around with busy work while Mary sat at Jesus feet, listening. Martha was resentful that she was doing all the serving while Mary did nothing, in her eyes. Martha was fed up with the situation and finally went to Jesus and said,

"Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" (Luke 10:40b NIV)

"But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her," (Luke 10:41-42 NIV).

I am no theologian, however, this story reminds me to set priorities in my life and Jesus must always be number One. I still struggle to make this happen, though I try. I no longer attempt to be the busy one who is always at church working. I spend much more of my time at Jesus' feet through the Scriptures.

Still, I get distracted by life. There is so much stuff that gets in the way. Water aerobics, birthday parties, grocery shopping...

My goal is to put Jesus first in my life and keep my focus on Him. It is a constant struggle, but well worth it. Just like with Mary, it is a "good portion" that no one can take from me.

Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment