Monday, March 11, 2019

A Special Day

Today is a special day. My sweet granddaughter has been waiting a year for this day to arrive. Piper turns six years old today. Most of her celebrating is over but today she is taking treats to school. She loves her birthday. Tomorrow she will begin waiting for birthday number seven.

I no longer look forward to birthdays. They are just another day. But, it gives me so much joy to watch my grandchildren enjoy theirs. Life is just beginning for them. Their excitement comes from new adventures: losing a first tooth; entering middle school; getting a driver's permit; then a driver's license; and turning 21!

For me days seem to be on a fast train, streaming by, barely recognizable. How does this happen? When does it change from days that drag on and never seeming to arrive, to flying past at record speed? Life has a different pace at times of our lives.

I shouldn't ask such questions, according to Scriptures.

"Do not say, 'Why were the old days better than these?' For it is not wise to ask such questions," (Ecclesiastes 7:10 NIV).

Instead,  enjoy every moment as it arrives and rejoice that it is here.

"When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future," (Ecclesiastes 7:14 NIV).

Piper wanted a 'selfie' with Grandma at her birthday party. We shared a special instant together that I will always cherish, and I have a photo that captured the moment. How great is that!

Thank you, God, for forgiving me when I question my days and let them escape without memories. Help me cherish each day and the moments that fill my heart with love and joy and friendship and family and experiences. Thank you for your Son, my Savior. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment