Thursday, April 25, 2019

My Only Protection

Imagine being a traveler in Jesus' day. Most travel was on foot with perhaps a donkey to haul your belongings if you were moving. Unless you were traveling with family, your walk would be a lonely one. During times of a pilgrimage there could be many travelers on the road at the same time, all headed for the same destination, such as Jerusalem.

If you were traveling alone, the trail could be dangerous. The hills were especially dangerous, with caves and corners where thieves could hide and attack. In Jesus' day man often risked his life to travel through the hillsides. Unknown were the dangers that awaited around the bend.

God was their only protection.

Today, we travel many miles in a day, to watch a track meet, or a rodeo, or a baseball game or go shopping. There seem to be few dangers along the way. We feel safe in our cars or even in planes. We can travel across the country in a day's time. But, bad things happen. Car accidents. Evil people with guns. Deer running across the road. People disobeying the law. Flat tires. Snowstorms. Things happen.

"I lift up my eyes to the hills-- where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth," (Psalm 121:1-2 NIV).

When I head out to drive somewhere, especially in a city that I'm unfamiliar with, I pause at my steering wheel and say a prayer of protection, both for other drivers from me and for myself. God is my only protection.

As you head out of your house today, may you lift your eyes to God, where your help comes from, and be protected in all that you do.






No comments:

Post a Comment