Thursday, April 4, 2019

Put On Your Helmet of Hope

Are you dressed for today? Did you change out of your bedclothes and into the apparel of the day? I won't tell you what I'm wearing as I type this. Today is a new day and I'm ready to get ready for anything that may come my way. My usual clothes won't help me but I know what will.

"But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing," (1 Thessalonians 5:6-11 NIV).

I love the image of putting on the armor of God. Setting the strong heavy helmet on my shoulders and the powerful breastplate of faith and love to cover my body, immediately makes me feel stronger. It protects my thoughts from depression and feelings of hopelessness and fear. The helmet rejects all arrows of low self-esteem and gives me power to fight off crushing words that hurt me. The helmet of the hope of salvation reminds me that through Jesus Christ my sins are forgiven.

No matter what you are facing right now; a serious illness, a tragic life situation, a family crisis, a job search, or a wayward child -- trust in the hope we are promised and put on "the hope of salvation as a helmet". Let your protection give you strength to keep fighting, to calmly consider all options, to mediate a resolution, to ask God's direction, and to pray for a good conclusion. God is waiting to help us, if we will just ask.

I'm going to steady my helmet of hope and straighten my shield of faith and love as I head out the door today. Who knows what I might face? I need to be ready and protected by the grace of our Father.

Thank you, God, for all your gifts of protection. May I focus on You today as I wear my helmet of hope. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment