Thursday, April 11, 2019

The Agony Begins

It is just a week until Christians recognize the days of anguish and agony, the crucifixion, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Holy Week, as it is sometimes called, is filled with emotion because so much happens that is significant to Christians. It is the week our Savior instituted the Last Supper. He suffered and died to erase our sins with His blood. And He rose on the third day to restore our relationship with God.

Today I want to focus on the agony of Christ, before the physical torture even began. As Jesus often did, following a day of preaching in the temple, He went to the Mount of Olives to pray. The Mount of Olives was just east of Jerusalem. According to my NIV Life Applications Study Bible, Jesus went up the southwestern slope of the Mount of Olives to an olive grove called Gethsemane. His disciples followed Him to this quiet, peaceful place.

"He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground," (Luke 22:41-44 NIV).

Jesus knew what was ahead and in this passage we can see how it weighed on Him. Just imagine. But, look what happens. When Jesus prayed so solemnly, an angel appears to strengthen Him. I'm not sure I ever looked carefully at this passage before. When we pray earnestly, God will strengthen us, too. But, as I read on I am driven to my knees when I read that Jesus' sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.

Such agony we have not experienced. Only Jesus has endured such. His sorrow, as He anticipated what was going to happen, was made worse as He knew He must suffer separation from God when He died on the cross. It is too much for me to comprehend.

And Jesus did this all for me and for you.

Ponder His agony. Consider the hope!


No comments:

Post a Comment