Monday, September 2, 2019

Work With All Your Heart

I have done a lot of jobs during my lifetime. I babysat. I cleaned houses. I was a clerk in a bookstore. I was a stay-at-home mom. I was a nurse aide for residents of a nursing home. I worked as a receptionist at a tax office. I was a data-entry person at an insurance company.  I was a reporter for a small weekly newspaper. I was a college student. And finally I was a supervisor of media relations at a college. Now, I am retired.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving," (Colossians 3:23-24 NIV).

As I look back at the jobs I've done, I feel good about what I did, how I applied myself, how I served others, and how I worked with others. Of all the jobs I think babysitting was my least favorite. But, even so I learned something during every job I held. Most of my jobs ran for about five years before I moved on to the next. The exception was nurse aide where I ruined my back in the duration of a year. I loved serving the residents there but the lifting did me in.

I truly enjoyed helping people. It gave me a great feeling when I could do something that someone really appreciated: finding the book they were looking for, locating a tax return for a preparer, completing data entry efficiently, or writing a story the public enjoyed reading.

As the scripture says, in everything we do we serve the Lord. I pray God will help me continue to serve Him even in my retirement years by being kind, courteous, helpful, and thoughtful to others as I go to the store, or to an appointment, to church, or greet my neighbors.

Lord, help me be a servant to You in all ways, everyday. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment