Thursday, October 3, 2019

Fellowship and Study

As I think back on my faith walk, one of the best steps I took was getting involved with 'Friendship Bible Coffees'. They were popular in the 1970s and 1980s and were one of the main reasons my faith and knowledge of the Bible were strengthened. There were multiple workbooks that guided a study of a specific book of the Bible or topic. I must have completed 20-30 different lesson books during the years I was involved.

Sadly, in my desire to downsize, I finally recycled all of my books before our last move. Besides the wonderful Bible instruction they gave, it truly was a time of building great lifelong friendships. We began using other study guides or books to base our Bible studies on after the Friendship Bible Coffee books became unavailable.

A group of us continued to meet and share fellowship and study for many years. All the ladies that gathered together consistently are ladies that remain solid, caring friends of mine, even after all these years. One small group of these friends, including me, still gathers together for Bible study once a month. Although our group has gotten smaller, the fellowship makes the time truly precious.

I love the description of God in the book of Isaiah 40 as it tries to illustrate His knowledge with wonder and awe. It is this desire to better understand God and His Son that makes Bible study so worthwhile and awe inspiring. The Word of God truly guides us and helps us become better individuals.

"Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens? Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket, or weighed the mountains on the scales and the hills in a balance? Who has understood the mind of the Lord, or instructed him as his counselor? Whom did the Lord consult to enlighten him, and who taught him the right way? Who was it that taught him knowledge or showed him the path of understanding?" (Isaiah 40:12-14 NIV).

There is so much to learn. My study of the Bible will never end as long as I am able to see or hear His Word. Meeting with groups of friends to study the Bible is one of the most worthwhile things I will ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment