Monday, October 7, 2019

Praying for Others

Yesterday my sweet 6-year old granddaughter called me on FaceTime for help pulling one of her front teeth. She is too far away to drive over and help so I just tried to talk to her. I couldn't pull it for her (in part I'm thankful I couldn't) all I could do was sympathize with her situation. Do you remember how frustrating it was to have a tooth so loose but still hanging on by one root?  She was twisting it and bending it and still it wouldn't come out. She had been working on it all afternoon and was in tears.

I wished I could be there for her but this time I couldn't. I imagine she laid in bed wiggling it until she fell asleep.

Sometimes we just can't help another person we care about. All we can do is pray and offer comforting words. After we hung up, unsuccessful at removing the tooth, I prayed for my granddaughter. I prayed that her tooth would come out quickly and easily, though I know in its own time it will. I prayed for comfort and that her anxiety would be relieved. I thanked God for being with her. That's all I could do.

Paul wrote, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus," (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV).

Whatever is concerning you today, prayer is the answer. Maybe the tooth won't come out for several more days. Even so, I trust that God will be there for even this significant event in my granddaughter's life. No matter how big or how small the request God will hear your cries for help.

Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment