Thursday, October 24, 2019

Mental Health Awareness Month

October is mental health awareness month. I was diagnosed with major depression more than 30 years ago. I have been through all kinds of treatment and I'm currently on medication to try and maintain a balance of good health. But I still struggle. There are good and bad days but life goes on. Only once did I try to take my own life. I was nearly successful but John came home early from work and got me to the hospital just in time.

Since that episode of darkest deepest sadness my life looks like a graph of heartbeats up and down.
God is the reason I'm still here and keeps me going. There are so many scriptures that help those who struggle with mental illness. The Scriptures give us hope. I'm so thankful for the blessing of hope.

"The Lord replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest,"" (Exodus 33:14 NIV).

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble," (Psalm 46:1 NIV).

"Be still, and know that I am God," (Psalm 46:10 NIV).

And my favorite;

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light," (Matthew 11:28 NIV).

If you or someone you know struggles with mental illness please seek help. There are many qualified doctors or therapists who can help you find a path that moves you upward. And cling to God. He is always there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment