Thursday, May 28, 2020

Mental Health Awareness

May is Mental Health Awareness month so this blog is devoted to the previously "taboo" topic. I have mental illness. I've struggled with depression for 40 years. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and have been on various medications all of this time. Perhaps you know someone else who has a mental disorder. There are many of us.

The topic doesn't usually come up in common conversation though it may be upmost in a person's mind. We just don't usually talk about it. It isn't an easy thing to bring up. "Hi, how are you?" "Oh, I'm depressed today." "Oh, my schizophrenia is acting up." "Well, I'm bipolar."

Before I was diagnosed I was so sad. I cried a lot and I couldn't change how I felt. I hated myself for being a failure at life. The first few medications didn't work and I felt no hope for the future. I finally attempted suicide to end all the terrible pain I felt. I was nearly successful except my husband came home from work early found me and drove me to the hospital. That year I spent many weeks in the mental health ward.

Finally, after many attempts, doctors found the right combination of drugs to help me.  I had many good years and even went to college and got my journalism degree when I was 40. Then I lost my beloved mother and I just couldn't stop grieving her. It was a difficult time, trying to help my dad get through the loss also. His health failed and eventually he could no longer stay at home safely. I faced another crisis at this time and endured ECT treatments that were effective at getting me out of the deep depression.

Though it isn't always easy to find the right treatment and medication combination there is help available and it is always worth striving toward hope. Having faith in God and His saving Son Jesus Christ helped me endure even the worst days.

"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me. The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O Lord, endures forever--do not abandon the works of your hands," (Psalm 138:7-8 NIV).

Please seek help if you are in need of counseling or therapy. There are good people who can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment