Thursday, July 16, 2020

The Joy of Reading

COVID-19's stay-at-home has been good for me in a couple of ways. One is I've had time for reading. At first I picked up my Bible and finished the read the Bible in a year. I had never done the ESV before so that was a good task to complete. Then I started on a stack of books I've had in my library that I'd been wanting to read.

I've never been a fiction reader but I've learned to enjoy a few this year. At the rate I'm going I will have to get some more books! I've discovered that I'd rather read than dust, for sure. I have one more Bible, a New English Version that I hope to read through next. That will use up a lot of reading time.

Reading the Bible in chronological order is an interesting way to read Scripture. I only got bogged down in Leviticus. The rest was interesting and insightful. I enjoy running into verses I've heard before but didn't remember where they were located in the Bible. Reviewing a favorite story that is familiar always reveals something new to me. I love reading the Bible.

The kings of old were instructed to read the law, as prepared by the priests, every day. We are fortunate to have our own Bibles to read in full as we desire.

"It is to be with him, and he is to read it all the days of his life so that he may learn to revere the Lord his God and follow carefully all the words of this law and these decrees," (Deuteronomy 17:19 NIV).

Lord, help us to read and understand Your Word so we can worship You and follow You every day. Give us the desire to study Your Word more fully. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment